10.30.2006

Sports adventurer?

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 (DAY 8)
1:00 p.m.
Gastgarten, Austria

This morning I braved the icy cold glacier waters of Austria’s mountains for my first experience in white water rafting. Quite the wake-up call, if I do say so myself. The roaring rapids are made of melted snow and ice, and that in combination with the brisk 65-degree weather left my lips a little blue and my skin full of goose bumps by the end of the trip. But unlike I expected, none of my shivers came out of fear. The ride down the river was not at all scary like I thought it would be. We traversed the Level 3 rapids – a beginner’s level course – to ease into the experience. My guide was an Italian named Ricardo (Rico, as he liked to be called), and he had his work made out for him with a raft full of novice women paddlers: myself, Mimi, Emily, Amy, Anne, Diana and Kathryn. It was a sweet way to view Austria’s splendor and to jumpstart the day.

Now, onward to Venice.

No comments: