12.15.2008

Christmas Plans

Although the weather for Cambodia has been rather cool, it still feels like I've been stuck in a time warp and have been living in July for the past 5 months. I tend to forget that next week is Christmas. Sometimes I think it's better that way. I attended a Christmas hymn sing on Sunday and the songs made my nose tingle and left me slightly blurry-eyed as I thought about how I was missing out on my favorite Christmas traditions -- decorating the tree while listen to my favorite Bing Crosby Christmas album, making cookies while watching White Christmas and Miracle on 34th Street and cuddling up in a wool sweater to wrap Christmas gifts.

A friend of mine who has been suffering from the same holiday nostalgia suggested we head off to the sleepy beach town of Kep, and I happily agreed. It might be impossible to replace the time spent with friends and family, but since fir trees and stockings don't seem like a possibility this year, then I suppose hiking through caves and jungles and relaxing on the beach will do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Nice blog!!! I actually spent time reading it. I came across it in a google search and have a couple of questions regarding your journey but I dont see any contact email.

Crys said...

That sounds like a fun Christmas to me!!

Rachael said...

Feel free to contact me at ucbulletin@gmail.com.

KBrock said...

Does sound like a fun Christmas plan! I'd like to be on a beach instead of around all this snow.

Michael and Yukiko Jones said...

I miss having you around to make cookies this year :) Have a wonderful Christmas and have a safe trip. cant wait to see pictures.