10.05.2009

Working Woman


Last night, I was telling a friend about my prep for my first day on the job. She wished me luck and said, "Welcome to the next 30 to 40 years of your life."

A rather cynical introduction to the next chapter of my great adventure, I can't blame her point of view. She's been entrenched in corporate working world for awhile now. But it didn't damper my mood. I began my first day on the job with spirit and gusto.

And I'm tired.

Although, I'm suffering from information overload and florescent light burn, I can't help but love it. Sure, the usual first day of filling out HR paperwork and reading procedures can feel a bit tedious, but it just points to the fact that you're part of something bigger. It's awesome and surreal that I finally get a chance to show off what I worked so hard in college for. And as an omen of the good to come, the team took me to a lunch at Ramsey's. (Two days in a row! Wow!) Yup, I think I'm going to like it here.

Well, since the words are processing through my brain slowly and my eyes are beginning to cross, I'm going to call it a night. Why don't we make this more interesting and you tell me about your best (or worst) first day on the job.

Photo courtesy h-ope

5 comments:

KBrock said...

For my first real job, my first day was in a classroom. Which happened to be on the first day of classes for the university, so after summer break and starting training class when all the students did, it didn't feel all that weird. Except that I was learning about sandwiches.

And you can always escape the corporate world if it gets to be too much.

Glad you had a good first day!

Unknown said...

My "worst first" happened at my current employer.

It was May 2002, and most companies hadn't even heard of social networking/the blogosphere let alone embraced it.

I had a personal blog in which I talked about personal things. On my first day, I get called into a meeting with my boss, my boss's boss, and another editor to talk about my blog.

I was almost fired from my previous employer because of my blog, so getting called into a meeting on the first day chastising me for having a blog wasn't exactly the first impression I wanted to make.

Seven years and two promotions later, I'm still there and now the ability "to blog" is pretty much a necessity in the publishing world if you're a journalist.

alison said...

glad you're liking it!

I was telling someone recently about how hard it is to sit at a desk all day, 5 days a week, and she said "now imagine doing it for 40 years".

My most recent first day of work involved meeting a bunch of important people and then going on a hike with one of them. I had no idea what to wear for that one!

hope you enjoy it and every day gets even better!

Emily said...

Glad you are liking your job. The first couple of weeks are always the hardest. It stinks to be the new kid and to have to learn the ropes. (Especially if you're a bit of a perfectionist, it stinks to not know a single thing!)

My first day of my current job started with my internship. I had no idea where to go or how to even get in the building. (They never gave me a key or anything before I started.) Then, nobody told me when lunchtime was and I ended up eating really late and by myself.

Luckily I ended up making friends quickly. Two years later I'm still here. I've learned this: Don't stress over the little things. You will make mistakes at first, but in the long run, you'll get it and become a pro. (And you won't be so overwhelmed.)

Little Wonder Lauren said...

I'm reading this way late, obviously, but I'm glad you posted the link to this on my blog! I love your sentence: "I'm suffering from information overload and florescent light burn." That's a great description... I'm already anticipating the information overload, but I hope I don't get too overwhelmed with the florescent lights tomorrow. I'm thinking about buying some desk lamps for my office. :-)