5.29.2010

The Ultimate Stress Reliever?

I agreed to jump out of a plane today.

Although I've done this before, I feel as though a little bit more emotion should accompany what is definitely the event of the day, likely the event of the weekend, and potentially the event of the year. Unless you are a parachute tester for a living, this is not something one does every day.

I'm not particularly excited about the jump. Or anxious. Or fearful. To tell you the truth, I have no emotion toward it whatsoever. Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing the faces of those who make their first landing today, but as for me, I just want to do it and get it over with.

Now, for the philosophical portion of my text... (Please bear with me.)

Perhaps I'm not eager for this jump, because my life the past couple years has been a series of big jumps. (Like I said, work with me on this one.) If you do too many dramatic things in your life, especially in a tight time frame, is it possible to become numb to things you would have once found exhilarating?

My other theory is I'm recovering from stress I've endured lately, and my coping mechanism is to block out all forms of stress ... even if it's "fun" stress. In this case, maybe jumping out of a plane is just the kick in the pants I need to seek relief.

No comments: