6.28.2008

America... some sort of crazy island.

January 21, 2008
Nashville, Tennessee



I’ve begun my trip across the country.

Ever since traveling around New Zealand I thought about how awesome it would be to experience my own country. I know, not quite a long-term ambition. But it’s already coming to fruition and that in itself is satisfying.

I’m traveling across my country – the United States of America – because I’m moving to California. Temporarily.

I’ll be there three months for an internship with Bowtie, Inc. Anyway, I need my car so I’m driving out and pouncing on this opportunity to explore my homeland. Eric offered to come along for the ride so we’ve set out on the open road.

Today went pretty smoothly. I got up at 5 a.m. because we wanted to hit the road at an early 8 a.m. and I still needed to pack a few things and say goodbye. By 8:30 a.m. we were officially on the road (I had to go back home because I forgot my sunglasses. Can’t do Cali without a trusty trendy pair of shades.)

But things went well, though rather dull, because I’m still recovering from a week of catching up one last time with friends, wrapping up work at Starbucks and packing up the necessities of my life.

So I offered to drive the first leg, which took us all the way through Louisville, and we made our first stop at Mammoth Cave.



Our tour guide through the cave was pure Kentucky, if you know what I mean. The accent was horrendous and was mixed with a “Valley Girl” persona. It made me wonder how the whole park ranger thing happened. She related well to the kids in our tour, but not so much to Eric and me.

Our destination, about six hours from take off, was Nashville – home of country music. We visited with our friend Jess from college who drove up from Knoxville to meet us. We visited the Opryland Resort, ate some BBQ and enjoy some southern music (well, at least I did) over some icy cold beverages.



With the first day a success, I’m ready to rest up and prepare for what the long drive has to offer.

No comments: