3.03.2010

On A Melodic Note


I'm so excited to share with you that I'm finally beginning to get music back in my life. I don't mean this metaphorically. I don't mean that I turned on the Top 40 station and sung along. I mean I'm literally playing music again! It's (almost) beautiful.

The last time I picked up my flute and let my fingers flutter across its little keys was ... well, to tell you the truth, I can't remember the last time I did this. I'd forgotten the feeling of breathing life into the inanimate object and having a soft and sweet melody flow from the end. Of traveling up and down the staff in smooth waves. Of holding a note, long and mellow, and letting it stretch across the room. It takes your mind from the harshness of everyday life to somewhere more blissful and perfect.

Although I'm a bit rusty (my fingers don't quite have the same precision about them that they did 5 years ago), I'm happily surprised at how I can easily I can fall into the rhythm of a tune. Even after I've put my instrument asleep for the night, I find myself dancing around the apartment to hymns and sonatas.

I'm a person who appreciates all kinds of music, but the classic melodies played on woodwinds bring a certain spirit into the room that no other genre can. They are so rich - full of meaning, joy and life. I'm so happy to allow this into my life again.

Do you play an instrument (or did you)? Which one?

2 comments:

Bex said...

Good for you! I used to play clarinet and piano, but that was ages ago and I was never very good. I would give anything to have true musical talent. Keep it up!

Crys said...

I love music. Too bad I don't have the ability to play a musical instrument. I've always been a fan of the cello and the violin though. Beautiful!